Wednesday, June 6, 2007

A Sad Day

It's very sad around our house today. Our parakeet, PD Bird, died during the night. I had noticed that he was sleeping more than usual, but we've been so busy with the house, I really didn't think it was serious! We have had him for a long time. DD's Dad got up first and found him. He knew I would be upset and that I had a migraine yesterday; so he went ahead and buried him in the back yard and put his ladder, that he loved best, on the fence above his grave. He also put flowers on the grave. I'm glad he did. I still have the migraine and it's really worse than yesterday! I really miss PD Bird's chirping and banging his ladder on the side of his cage!

When we went through all my school stuff and took most of it to the Salvation Army, I didn't send my picture books that I had bought for school. I had oodles of books in my class library. However, the substitute they got to cover my class the rest of that year must have taken a lot of them. This really upset me because they were my personal books, but I didn't say anything because I was dealing with my son's death and really didn't want to bother with it. I still had 2 boxes full of picture books; most of them hardbacks. I wanted to do something special with them. I donated them to the Children's Hospital in memory of my son. I took them over there yesterday and the director of the Children's Hospital Learning Center (I think that's what she called it) came down and got them. She said they would put a label in each book that would tell that they were donated in my son's name. She was very nice and was very excited to get the books. It really gave me a warm feeling to do something in my son's name.

I did a little stitching yesterday, but not enough for a pic. I don't know if I will be able to stitch any today - with this headache!! Take care everyone and have a happy day!

6 comments:

Lucy said...

I'm sorry to hear about your parakeet. This is either the second or third time I read in someone's blog recently about a parakeet or other bird dying. I know I become attached to whatever animal we have...a loss hurts. Take care.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear about your loss. I can imagine how you feel. I was so devasted when my dog died ... many hugs coming your way.
Love, Selina

Ranae said...

So sorry for your loss. Hope your migraine gets better. Ranae

Kendra said...

So sorry about the loss of PD Bird. ((hugs)) It's always hard to lose an animal, especially if you've had it for a long time and get used to its noises and routines. Don't be surprised if you hear his chirping from time to time...our minds play tricks on us like that!

Old4sure said...

Ah, poor PD. I have had several friends to lose the cats recently. Most of them were incredibly old, so they had them euthanized. Hope the headache gets better, the heat can't be helping that. How thoughtful that he took care of the parakeet's burial.

Felicity said...

(((hugs)))