Sunday, March 16, 2008

Disappointing Retreat

I've been pretty busy lately. We got my mom moved into her apartment last weekend. Then after 1 week, she decides she would rather move back to where she was before. I had a long talk with her and tried to remind her of all the reasons she wanted to move in the first place. After sleeping on it and doing a good bit of praying, she has decided to stay where she is. She has trouble being content! She has always been that way. She made poor Dad return almost everything she ever bought. She asked me hadn't I ever been unhappy with my house or any other place I've lived. I told her no. I'm an optimist, and I've just always been content where ever I was! Once I've made a decision, I'm usually pretty happy with it!

I went to the stitching retreat last Fri. and Sat. I had a great time being with the other ladies and talking and laughing, but I was rather disappointed in the projects and goodies that we received. We got a photo box with little scissors, a folding ruler, a little piece of fleece to put beads on, some freebie patterns, a tiny little writing pad and ink pen (also tiny), one #24 and one #26 needle. The first project was a discontinued pattern that she got permission to reproduce (so it was a freebie). It is a tiny Rainbow Row to put on an Altoid can. The can was not included. We got a small piece of fabric to stitch it on and only enough thread for the project. The next project was a little kit from The Sweetheart Tree: Just for Fun #1 - Fiesta Flowers. We got a small piece of purple fabric to stitch it on. It does include a button and some beads. The price was on the little plastic box the pattern came in: $5.00. (I have never seen any pattern or kit in her shop that costs less than that.) Again just a few pieces of thread. The last project was another freebie. It was really cute - it looks just like a can of Campbell's soup and says "Cross Stitch" instead of "Campbell's Soup". It is cream of ort soup. Ort is the pile of tiny pieces of thread you compile while stitching. After you finish the stitching, you put it on an empty can of soup and use it as a mini-trashcan for your ort. We did get a can of soup with that project. My door prize was a $10 gift certificate for the shop, which I liked better than any of the other prizes. The meal Fri. night was homemade soup that the owner had made and lunch Sat. was pizza. The retreat cost $90 and I figured it up - we got less than $25 worth of stuff. With 14 women attending, she really made a lot of money!! I would rather have bought $90 worth of x stitch stuff!! I did end up spending $42, because I bought the threads for the Lizzie Kate double flipits. I used the gift certificate to help pay for that. I've seen projects that they have gotten at other retreats, and they were great! I really was shocked when I saw what we got!! She has 2 retreats during the year, but I don't know if I'll do another one.

As soon as I got home from the retreat, my nose started running and my throat started hurting. Today I have a full-blown head cold. I have slept most of the day and feel horrible! I hope I get over this quickly - I need to sub some! Better go to bed. Have a day full of happy moments, and may God bless you!

3 comments:

Alberta said...

I guess it's hard to know what's a so-so retreat and what's an awesome one without attending. I'm excited that you are going to be stitching Lizzie Kate's Double Flips! Now that's something to look forward to. Hope you are on the mend soon.

patternnuts said...

Did the retreat include meals?

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that you were disappointed in your retreat. I guess not every one can be a winner. I hope you're feeling better.